Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Good Directions and Turnip Greens




Y'all know this song, right? By Billy Currington? NOT! It was written my fellow Georgia Southern alum Luke Bryan. That's another story, though.

While cleaning up the kitchen tonight, I was listening to the iPod on our handy iHome (thanks, Zack!) and "Good Directions and Turnip Greens" came on. The Luke Bryan version...which brought back a wonderful memory of mine and Allen's first date.

It was September 28, 2005. We had been introduced to one another on many occassions because we had a few mutual friends (and he pledged a fraternity, so I think he gave me a few sober rides home during those days). "The" Facebook was new and all the rage. We exchanged a few messages after becoming virtual friends. I asked him to a sorority Crush Party, where sisters were invited to bring more than one date. I, however, only had one :)

Allen met me at the "Nikel"...the establishment where the function was held. The theme was "Rock Stars on the Red Carpet." Allen showed up in his button-down Polo and khaki shorts. Too cute.

Later in the evening we moved on to another Statesboro establishment. We chatted, all alone in a big wooden booth. And then the song came on...."Good Directions and Turnip Greens." The LUKE BRYAN version, y'all. Billy Currington was NOT in the picture at this point. Allen asked me to dance with him, even though he hated to dance. It was one of the sweetest and most heroic things he has ever done. He suffered through every moment, but I thought it was just the most precious thing ever.

The pic above is from about a month or so after we started dating.

Exactly 3 1/2 years from our first date, on March 28, 2009, I married my BFF AL! This is my favorite picture from our wedding day






It is SO hard to believe that we have been together for almost 5 years...even harder to believe we have been married for almost 11 months now! Every day is an adventure. Full of ups and downs... But truly wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment