Tuesday, June 29, 2010

On Getting Older, Part 2

Exactly one week ago, I turned 26. I am completely at peace with this number; however, I have noticed a few things in the past week that made me think, “Wow! I feel older!" Cases in point:

1) My dear husband asked what I would like for my birthday. Without a thought, I made a list of around-the-house projects that are in dire need of completion. Goodbye, birthday presents! (For the record, he did take me out for an amazing birthday dinner.)

2) When my mother asked what I would like for my birthday, I replied “just come visit me in Spartanburg.” So she and Brian did visit! (With many gifts in tow…thanks, Mom!) I think once you reach a certain age, gifts-in-kind generate as much joy (maybe more) as an actual “gift.”

3) Hearing recent college grads complain about having to be at work at 8:30 a.m. makes me cringe. Seriously, children… get used to it. Stop complaining. You have a job...welcome to the rest of your life. You'll know "you've made it" when you start arriving at work at 6:45 or 7:00 a.m. just to have quiet time for concentration.


4) I have discovered that the, like, 18-22 age group, like, in general just, like, annoys me.

5) Last, but not least: I do not, for the life of me, understand this Twilight thing. Where to begin?
a) It’s basically Harlequin romance novel material – look no further than the local Piggly Wiggly for the story line. It’s there, and you can likely purchase your "stories" for $3.99 or less.
b) The previews are hysterical, and I don't think they are intended to be. Teenage vampires transforming into animal beasts?
c) I want to throw things at my TV when people interview Kristin Stewart. Her "I despise my fame" attitude is freaking pathetic. She could never work another day in her life and still be swimming in $$$ from the success of these pathetic love stories. Be gracious, dear. It may not last forever.

One day, dear Kristin may, like, get old...like, 26 or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment