Saturday, July 10, 2010

Our new addition


Nope, no baby announcement. No pictures of positive pregnancy tests to flaunt on Facebook (umm, yuck. No one wants to see that.)

We adopted a dog! I found Jack, formerly "Bobby" (another yuck), on Petfinder.com. I have wanted a shih tzu for so long and have been reluctant to buy from a breeder because the thought of puppy mills is quite disturbing. (I know that there are many reputable breeders out there, but there are a lot of dogs who need homes. I don't look down on anyone who buys from a breeder.)

Bobby--I mean Jack--was rescued from a puppy mill, where his job was to impregnate. Over sexed and underpaid--what a way to live! Anyway, the "rescue" facility was as frightening as most pictures I've seen of puppy mills. Dozens of dog crates stacked on top of one another, many of the larger pins containing 2-4 dogs -- crawling on top of one another, their little behinds wet from the soiled newspaper lining the crates. I couldn't wait to get out of there.


Anyway, Jack is a 2-year-old little guy who previously did not receive attention, interaction or socialization with other animals, despite living in close quarters with dozens of other creatures. He is very timid and easily frightened.

I was so excited to pick Jack up and bring him home. The car ride couldn't have gone better. I put Jack in his carrier and he rode shotgun all the way home, with me talking to him in funny voices. All was going well--until we arrived. I called Allen from the driveway to ask him to come outside and meet Jack. Because of Jack's scaredy-cat demeanor, I opened the carrier thinking he would just step out and sniff around for a minute.

Boy, was I wrong. For the next 30 minutes, Allen and I ran all over the neighborhood trying to catch Jack from his prison break. I was a mess. I have never seen Allen run at all--but he did his best to keep track of Jack. Finally, we caught up with Jack about 4 blocks from our house. Allen and I were able to corner him on a church playground and carry him home. Oy vey! Not a great start for the Bunn family.

This morning, I woke up around 6 to find Jack already awake and pacing around. He doesn't play with toys yet and the only thing he really seems to enjoy are the little dental chew sticks I bought (thanks for the suggestion, Kristin!) I was so nervous to give Jack a bath because I didn't want him to have another traumatic experience so soon after the first, so I was shocked that he was very calm and allowed me to bath and dry him!

Now, Jack is trotting around the house. He even wagged his tail for a split second. Hopefully, he will adjust soon! If anyone has advice to share on socializing an adult shelter dog, please share! He is going to the vet on Thursday for his shots and to be neutered and microchipped. After that, we'll start obedience lessons and go to doggy play time at the Humane Society, where we hope Jack will learn to trust people and other animals.

Even though we have started out on the wrong foot, I hope Jack will find his way into our little family. He sure is a cute little guy!

Side note: I decided before I met Bobby that I would change his name to Jack. That decision was solidified after chasing Jack around the neighborhood in a pair of Jack Rogers sandals. For anyone who owns a pair, you know that the heel markings are quite uncomfortable. I don't suggest anyone take a jog in her Jack Rogers sandals.

2 comments:

  1. Your Jack (fighting the urge to call him Jackie Bobby, a la Justin Bobby from The Hills) is precious.

    p.s. Over sexed and underpaid made me laugh out loud. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for naming those sandals! I've seen them everywhere...don't really understand the trend.

    ReplyDelete