Friday, February 11, 2011

Adventures in Good Dog Academy (aka Fun with Jack Bunn)



Our darling Jack (aka "Jackson" when he is in trouble) attended his second session of "Good Dog Academy" last night, and I must say session #2 was FULL of just that.

Let's start at the beginning.

Three weeks ago, Allen and I attended the orientation session of GDA, sans canine, to learn all we need to know about the course. Dogs are left out of the first session so owners can concentrate on all the "nuts and bolts" involved in training your dog to be a "good" one.

Last week, the dogs were invited to attend their very first session. Allen wasn't able to attend due to coming down with the flu, so Jack and I trotted off to Good Dog Academy, just the two of us. I was really nervous about how Jack would respond to the class, but as soon as we arrived my worries melted away. He was just precious -- tail wagging, tongue out and prancing galore. He responded to his name and to the clicker. He took as many treats as I would give him. Just perfect.

With Allen on the mend, he was able to attend last night's class. It is widely known that Jack is completely terrified of Allen, which I don't really understand because the dog has Allen wrapped around his finger. At any rate, we arrived at the training spot and took our places. Jack flipped out most of the time--completely inattentive, nervous and whimpering a little bit (who knows why!).

In some brief moment of insanity, I handed Jack's leash to Allen. The moment the leash hit Allen's hand, Jack let it all go. POOP everywhere. Poop on the floor, poop on his paws, EVERYWHERE. And then, just for good measure, he decided to pee too. So I have a nervous husband holding the leash of an even more nervous dog who has just relieved himself all over the training area in front of the entire class. I could have crawled in a hole and died.

Here's to hoping next week is a better one for Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment